January 25, 2015
MY TWO CENTS
Things that would make me happy in 2015
By Will Smith
"The opinions reflected in the My Two Cents columns do not express the views of the editors or management of BigAppleSoccer. com"
Special to BigAppleSoccer.com
It's a new year, my friends. Normally, at this time, I am full of optimism for the local sides. However, this has been the most brutal offseason I can ever recall. First, it was the Frank Lampard Fiasco. Then it was the Mike Petke Mess. During that same period, the Cosmos kept waiting for word on the slow-moving Belmont Park project that never came.
With an offseason like this one, it's no wonder fans can hardly wait for the games to begin.
With that in mind, here are my "Starting 11" things I want to see in 2015:
1) The Cosmos defeat NYC FC badly en route to winning the Lamar Hunt/U.S. Open Cup - How great would that be? It would give Don Garber apoplexy, give the Cosmos bragging rights and make Manchester City Lite look worse than they already do.
2) Frank Lampard injured in his last game at Man City - I don't like to wish pain on anyone, but it would be funny if, after all the Lampard transfer and "loan" shenanigans, if Lampard got hurt and never actually played for NYC FC this year.
3) Leon Stolz has an immediate impact - It's been a terrible off-season for RBNY fans, but the team may have stolen one here. Stolz won the Hermann Trophy and plays attacking mid, a position where the team is clearly lacking. If Stolz, a rookie, can have an immediate impact, RBNY's prospects for 2015 are a lot less grim.
4) Red Bulls get sold - I defended the ownership and their blatant desire to "promote the brand" for years, but I'm done. The way they treated Petke, a club legend and the best coach they ever had, is despicable. The naysayers are right. These guys don't care at all about team history. All relationships end eventually. This one should end now.
5) Ali Curtis gets fired - It would be poetic justice if new owners came in and fired Curtis without giving him a chance to prove his worth, wouldn't it?
6) All three area teams succeed on and off the field. - I love the game and root for its continued growth more than I love or root for any one team. I hope the Red Bulls and NYC FC make the playoffs and I hope the Cosmos take the North American Soccer League crown and pack Shuart Stadium each time out.
7) Greater transparency in MLS transactions - No more weighted blind draw discovery allocation re-entry drafts and secret loan deals, OK? MLS has long since outgrown these shenanigans and its downright embarrassing on the world stage.
8) Good weather for Cosmos home games - There no roof and I don't like getting wet.
9) A stadium for the Cosmos - See No. 8 above. Also, if the Cosmos get a deal done before NYC FC, we can watch the GArber go into conniptions, which could be fun. If Belmont falls through, I hope the Cosmos have a Plan B because Shuart, despite its intimacy, is not a long term solution.
10) A physical location for the soccer Hall of Fame - The Soccer Hall of Fame is a virtual hall, full of plaques, locked in a storage facility, right now. Nothing would please be more than to get it a permanent home and make it a destination for soccer fans.
11) Better concessions at Red Bull Arena - Thee food is actually good (four sausage ke-bab!), but the lines move slower than the DMV. Does Red Bull have a 99-year deal with Delaware North????
This off-season has not been a great one for the locals. Let's hope it all gets better, on and off the field.
If you want to respond to this story or have an opinion of your own, send it to email.