March 14, 2015
MY TWO CENTS
The Starting XI For March 2015
Will Smith is a long-time soccer fan from Brookln
"The opinions reflected in the My Two Cents columns do not express the views of the editors or management of BigAppleSoccer. com"
By Will Smith
Special to BigAppleSoccer.com
With all due respect to the Christmas season, THIS is the most wonderful time of the year. The 2015 MLS season, it's 20th, is underway and second division NASL is set to kick off soon. You get can your soccer fix live once again as opposed to watching European giants beat up on bottom feeders week after predictable week.
With that in mind, here are the March Starting Eleven for the local sides:
1) As a lifelong Mets fan, I really want to hate NYC FC and their partial Yankee ownership. That said, I think it's great to have a team in the five boroughs and it's important for the league to have a strong NYC presence. So, instead, I hope they draw crowds of 40K each match, are very competitive and never win a trophy.
2) The Yankee players sure complain a lot about the condition NYC FC will leave the field in without actually having seen any evidence of a damaged field, don't they?
3) If no one gets the ball to David Villa, he will not score for NYC FC.
4) If no one gets the ball to Bradley Wright-Phillips, he won't score for the Red Bulls either. However, I guarantee you his brother Shaun will be joining RBNY from QPR sooner rather than later.
5) Red Bulls fans are exhausting with their "I'm so mad at the team for firing Mike Petke. Should I go to the games or not?" This is not an existential crisis. If your anger exceeds your desire to go, stay home. If the reverse is true, go to the stadium. Either way, stop whining.
6) Speaking of whining, for all the moaning Red Bulls fans did all over the internet, I thought Sacha Kljestan played a quietly strong game in Kansas City. He will never be Thierry Henry, but is a much better player than posters are giving him credit for.
7) I know Giovanni Savarese is an offensively minded coach, but, at some point, the Cosmos are going to need to sign some defenders. That's an old and creaky gang of four back there.
8) "We've got Jimmy Maurer," sung to the tune of Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" is the best local soccer chant by far.
9) Don Garber's idea of market research is to see where the NASL has a successful team and expand into that market.
10) Let me get this straight: the Cosmos want a stadium and to be both a global brand and the biggest team in America. The Red Bulls play in the top domestic league, have a stadium and their ownership is losing interest in the product on the field. Seems like a deal made in heaven to me.
11) The MLS season should start on St. Patrick's Day every year. Serve green beer and green hot dogs at the game. Have the home team wear a green version of their jersey! Man, Garber can come out before the game dressed as St. Pat himself and bless the crowds! Mark Abbott and Sunil Gulati can dress like leprechauns and dance around the center circle! The ratings will go through the roof!
Till next time, keep loving the game with all you've got.
If you want to respond to this story or have an opinion of your own, send it to email.