Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsBig Apple Soccer HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
U.S. National Teams

U.S. MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM

December 21, 2016
DEEP INTO EXTRATIME
Still no decision on D2 sanctioning for NASL or USL


Sunil Gulati and the U.S. Soccer board of director have put off making a decision on D2 status of the NASL and USL at least through the end of the year.
Sunil Gulati and the U.S. Soccer board of director have put off making a decision on D2 status of the NASL and USL at least through the end of the year.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
By Michael Lewis
BigAppleSoccer.com Editor

And on and on and on it goes.

Like a game that won't end, U.S. Soccer has put off its decision on whether to give the North American Soccer League or United Soccer D2 status for at least a week.

According to a tweet by Matt Glenesk of the Indianapolis Star Tuesday, a U.S. Soccer spokesman said:

“Discussions still ongoing & will be thru end of year.”

Glenesk then commented there was "No specific reason for hold up."

A U.S. Soccer spokesman confirmed the information to BigAppleSoccer.com Wednesday afternoon.

On Dec. 6, the U.S. Soccer board of directors postponed a decision on sanctioning or re-certification of Division 2 and Division 3 professional leagues in a meeting in Manhattan.

"We expected to have further discussions in the next 7-10 days as we focus on the resolution of this important matter," a U.S. Soccer statement said at the time.

The NASL is trying to keep its league together, having lost Minnesota United to Major League Soccer and the Tampa Bay Rowdies and Ottawa Fury to the USL. Last week a source said the league was hoping to have eight to 10 teams in 2017. There have been no updates.

The Cosmos have ceased operations and have released their players and at least one member of their coaching staff. There are negotiations with a potential new investor or owner, which could be one of the factors holding up the NASL's announcement.

Assistant coach Carlos Llamosa became the first coach from the team to leave, signing with the New England Revolution (MLS). He was work in a similar capacity under head coach Jay Heaps.
 
 
 
Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2017 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC All Rights Reserved