Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsBig Apple Soccer HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
United Soccer Leagues


July 21, 2015
Union, Sporting KC advance

Soccer News Net staff

HARRISON, N.J. The Philadelphia Union prevailed over the New York Red Bulls on penalty kicks on Tuesday, winning their US Open Cup quarterfinal match at Red Bull Arena despite a 40th-minute ejection, allowing a goal in the fourth-minute of second-half injury time and seeing a ball hit the post in extra time.

Goalkeeper John McCarthy watched Bradley Wright-Phillips knock his penalty attempt off the crossbar on the first attempt and then blocked Lloyd Sam on his try to enable the Union to win 4-3 after a 1-1 draw.

The result moved the Union within one win of returning to the title game, where it lost to Seattle last
year, and continued the frustration of the Red Bulls, who have not advanced past the quarterfinals since they reached the title game in 2003 when the team was known as the MetroStars.

Philadelphia played with 10 men for the final 80 minutes after Conor Casey was ejected shortly before halftime.

While New York dominated possession and chances before and after Casey's red card, Philadelphia converted on a classic counter down the left side in the 55th. Sebastian Le Toux fed a streaking Vincent Nogueira as he sped toward the area and the French midfielder sent a ball across the six.

Ayuk sprinted in from the back side of the play unmarked and easily volleyed it past Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles.
The Red Bulls evened the score when Sam settled a ball from Mike Grella at the six, turned and finally was able to a low ball past McCarthy with about a minute and a half of stoppage time left.

The Union will face the winner of Wednesday's quarterfinal between the Chicago Fire and Orlando City SC in the semi-final.
More from Philly Soccer News
Fulll story from Philly Soccer News
Full story from Big Apple Soccer

KANSAS CITY, Kan.---Dom Dwyer scored the go ahead goal, and assisted on an insurance tally at Sporting Kansas City secured a berth in the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup semifinals with a 3-1 comeback victory over the Houston Dynamo on Tuesday at Sporting Park.

Will Bruin opened the scoring for a Dynamo side playing with 10 men after Luis Garrido's first half red card, but Sporting KC rallied for three goals in the final 20 minutes on strikes from Benny Feilhaber,

After a scoreless first half marked by Garrido's ejection for a sliding challenge on Amadou Dia in the 30th minute, the game came to life with four goals in a 30-minute span after the intermission. Bruin gave the visitors an unlikely 1-0 lead off a corner kick from Brad Davis in the 59th minute.

Sporting Kansas City responded immediately as Chance Myers earned a penalty kick less than two minutes later when he was tripped in the penalty area by Davis. Joe Willis dove low and to his right to deny Dwyer's left-footed attempt.

Feilhaber capped off an 11-pass scoring sequence in the 71st minute by sending his shot from 22 yards out into the back of the net.

Dwyer delivered the dagger in the 86th minute, latching onto a cleverly played through ball from Nemeth and slipping his shot beneath Willis for his team-leading 11th goal of the season across all competition.

Nemeth then capped off the comeback with his strike in the 88th minute,. His right-footed effort deflected off A.J. Cochran mid-flight to send Sporting KC into the final four on the team's quest for a third U.S. Open Cup title.

Sporting KC moves on to host Real Salt Lake at 7:30 p.m. CT on August 12 at Sporting Park.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2017 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC All Rights Reserved