October 24, 2016
JUGGLING THE SCHEDULE
2017 Lamar Hunt/U.S. Open Cup fixtures announced; MLS teams will enter competition June 14
CHICAGO - The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Monday that the third round of Open Division local qualifying for the 2017 Lamar Hunt/U.S. Open Cup has been rescheduled. The federation also announced the schedule for the 2017 competition.
Originally set to be played on Nov. 19-20, the third qualifying round will take place on March 11-12, 2017, the set of dates originally set aside for the fourth qualifying round.
If necessary, the fourth qualifying round will now take place on the weekend that had been previously reserved for the fifth qualifying round (April 8-9, 2017).
The matchups for the third qualifying round will be announced in mid-January along with the complete format for the Open Cup.
The tournament schedule for the Open Cup also was announced Monday:
* Wednesday, April 12: First Round pairings and Second Round possible matchups announced
* Wednesday, May 10: First Round
* Wednesday, May 17: Second Round
* Wednesday, May 31: Third Round
* Wednesday, June 14*: Fourth Round (Major League Soccer teams enter)
* Thursday, June 15: Round of 16 Draw
* Wednesday, June 28*: Round of 16
* Tuesday, July 11^: Quarterfinals
* Wednesday, Aug. 9*: Semifinals
* Wednesday, Sept. 20: Final
* Note: Any game in the Fourth round, Round of 16 and semifinal round where one of the participants has a league game the following Friday will be moved up a day (exception to this is when the team's opponent is scheduled for a league game the preceding Sunday; in this case, the provisions in the 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Handbook to determine the match date will prevail). In addition, any game chosen by U.S. Soccer to be broadcast nationally is subject to being moved up a day.
^ For the quarterfinal round, teams may apply to change the match date within a window that runs between July 7-16 if both teams in a match are not scheduled otherwise.